The UARC 146.62 repeater
Scott's Hill 

1999 Workparty news


This is a historical page detailing some of the work, effort and people involved in the rehabilitation and restoration of the Scott's Hill building.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to give credit to everyone that was involved in this project, but we believe that we have covered the high (and low) points!

We have also chronicled work parties at the Scott's Hill site that occurred in 1998 - go here to see and read more about those work parties.

Scotts Hill Project Update 3 July 1999

Today five of us ( Clint Turner, Gordon Smith, Gregg Smith, Randy Finch and I) visited the repeater site, examined the building, towers, and grounds, discussed our options, and made a number of decisions. Issues such as locating the cable penetrations, nature of single point ground, tying in the electrical ground, method of insulating, were discussed in depth.

The following committee/project assignments were either handed out/accepted/defaulted or extended from previous work last year (no railway assignments here ;-) ).

  1. Roof repair and integrity - John Clark
  2. Ground Field / Single Point Ground / Feed Thru - Randy Finch
  3. Insulation and sheet rock work - Greg Smith
  4. Antennas and feed lines - Clint Turner / Randy Finch
  5. Electrical - Don Rawlins
  6. STL's - Randy Finch / Kerry Whittle
  7. Radios at Scott's - Clint Turner / Godron Smith
  8. Radios at Farnsworth - Gordon Smith / Clint Turner
  9. Power Supply / Batteries - Clint Turner / Ned Stevens
  10. Power Transient Suppression - Randy Finch / Don Rawlins
  11. Heater and Thermostat - Ed McGuire

Work for July 5:?

  • Mastic Roof - John Clark (if not then, this work will need to be No 1 on the July 10 list) 5 gal of Mastic on site, trowels, rags and cleaning solvent

Work for July 10:

  1. Disassemble rack and temporarily locate outside
  2. Treat for Mildew
  3. Bring spray bottle with dilute Clorox and mop/rags - Bruce
  4. Install Drip Flashing
  5. Greg to Obtain 50' of 4" drip edge
  6. Need: Hammer Drill / bit screws / lag shields / washers
  7. Lay out Ground Field - Exothermic or Braze bond joints

Randy to obtain:

  1. copper coil and wire (?) and insulation (Forest Service isolator)
  2. Exothermic devices and/or oxyacetylene welding equip and brazing rods
  1. Pick & shovel for each on this detail
  2. Cut opening for feed line pass thru
  3. Need hammer drill with ½" or smaller bit 8" or longer
  4. masonry hammer and chisel
  5. 3/4 x 8 material to frame in opening and ½" x 12" x 22" wood temp cover and screws
  6. Install heater plaster frame - conduit / T-Stat box / MOV box and conduit.
  7. Need heater and Box for MOV's along with Conduit
  8. Install 2 Rohn 55G sections - need at least 4 people for this project
  9. Need 2 sections picked up at Randy's and transported to site.
  10. Socket / end-wrench set
  11. Will need to be careful of recently applied mastic on roof
  12. Install Z channel and frame up East wall
  13. Z channel and hardware
  14. Install 2 " Polyurethane sheeting on ceiling / and S W N walls, foil tape
  15. Install fiberglass super-insulation on East Wall

Miscellaneous items to bring:

  1. Single component foam in cans - Clint or Gregg
  2. Extension Cords - Bruce and Gregg
  3. Extra Hammer Drill and bits (expect to need two on inside for Z channel + feed thru work)
  4. Caulking gun - Bruce ( in addition to what will be used for contact cement for insulation)
  5. Broom / dust pan - Bruce
  6. Mop ?
  7. Door mat ?
  8. Parts bags for Rack Parts
Items needed for July 31?
  1. Copper Bulkhead Plate with coax connector feed-thrus / ground strap attachments on both sides and attachment hardware -
  2. Unistrut and hardware for cable attachment
  3. Ferrites and MOV installation
  4. Interior grounding system
  5. Sheetrock / tape / mud (we have decided to do a fire taping and a coat of PVA primer on top)
  6. Change out electrical plaster grounds
  7. Items needed for later work parties
  8. Replacement panel for rack
  9. Magnetic or hook & loop catch for rack doors
  10. Wire up rack power strips, thermostats and fans
  11. PVA Primer & rollers

Scotts Hill Project Workparty Report, July 10, 1999

I would like to extend a big Thank You to all who took part in the work party yesterday on Scott's Hill.

I am currently tending a nice crimson sunburn and aching muscles, as I am certain are some or you.  The weather was great as well as the vista.

Accomplished, in no small part under the professional supervision and hard work of Gregg, an Don were the following:

  1. Metal studs installed on all the walls.
  2. Insulation installed on the walls.
  3. Cable access cut through, framed and temporarily closed.
  4. A very liberal coat of asphalt cement applied to all roof joints and fasteners.
  5. A galvanized drip edge flashing installed  below existing flashing and fastened.
  6. Floor and walls treated for mildew and cleaned.
  7. Electric Heater and control box installed. (donated by Ed McGuire)
  8. MOV box installed.
  9. Caulked honey comb exposed roof slab and several spots on block wall.

Our next trip to the site, which will likely be scheduled for either July 31st or Aug 7th will involve the following projects:

First, verify that the roof has not leaked since the July 10 work - if no rain in the interim then test with lots of water on the roof.

  1. Install metal studs on ceiling.
  2. Insulate ceiling.
  3. Install appropriate electrical plaster rings
  4. Sheet rock walls and ceiling. (bind all studs together electrically &
  5. vide connection to single point ground prior to application of sheet rock).
  6. Fire Tape sheet rock
  7. Install and bury Ground Ring around the outside of building.
  8. Install lightening ground field
  9. Install additional tower sections.*
  10. Apply additional asphalt cement.* (there is still 2/3 of  5 gal on site)
  11. Touch up paint on outside of building. (1 gal of unopened paint is on site)
* These items might be done by Randy and John on a weekday between now and
the proposed work party.

Thank You,

Bruce, KI7OM

Scott's Hill July 30th , 1999, Workparty Report

The small (six) workparty accomplished a great deal on the 31st , though it was a very long day.  We gathered at the Park-n-Ride at 8:00 AM and were on the site about 45 minutes later.  Don Rawlins - N7YUQ, Fred Westergard - KB7VIL, Gregg Smith - KD7APW, Preston Brooksby -    KC4GTL Clint Turner - KA7OEI, and myself made up the party.

We had two primary objectives:

  1. Remove and replace the leaking roof
  2. Finish the inside framing, insulating, and complete the sheet rock work.
All this had been accomplished when we finally left the site at about 8:30 PM.  Before I go any further I really need to thank both Gregg and Don for their unselfish professional help and the long hours of preparation in planning, selecting,  procuring, and transport of materials for this phase.

There was a minimal (a few teaspoons full) amount of water on the floor, stored building materials, and wall insulation when we arrived.  When we began tearing off and removing the old roofing materials though we found large puddles of water under the roll roofing and the entire roof substrate was generally saturated.   In addition there was minimal bonding between the roofing material and the underlying substrate.  It is our best guess that because the existing gravel embedded tar roof had not been removed, it left the roll roofing subject to easy penetration by the rock chips from even light foot traffic.  Anyone there while we placed the towers last September will recall that we had as many as four or five people on top of the roof at times.

I have had many suggestions over the past few weeks regarding solutions to the leaking roof.  I would like to thank all those who took the time to send me their ideas.  The were several overriding considerations which led us to the decision to use the cold application of fiberglass reinforced modified bitumen material (bitchathane - sic).

  1. It had to be fool proof (we seem to have no shortage of fools)
  2. It needed to last more than 5 years.
  3. It needs to be able to withstand 100 mph winds (What ever was installed)
  4. It needed to have a 100 % bonding to the surface of the concrete roof to keep from being blown away).
All of the previous roofing materials were removed, roll roofing, flashing, the old tar and gravel right down to the bare concrete in most places. Some spots still had old tar that was well bonded to the concrete.  This we chipped away and smoothed out.  We applied an asphalt based primer to the dried out concrete and the remaining thin layer of residual asphalt.  We then applied new flashing, re-primed, and then got rained upon.  We had to wait for the rain to stop and for the roof to dry out completely before proceeding.  A thick modified bituminous adhesive was spread completely over the primed roof and flashing followed by the 3' wide strips of 90# modified bitumen with a mineral coated top.  Edges were caulked and lots of small rocks placed around the edges and seams to assure that it stays down till the cement cures.

While the work was going on up on the roof, inside Allthread was installed for hanging Unistrut.  Corner flanges were installed and all the studs were soldered along with two copper strips leading out the cable passage to be ultimately connected to the cable bulkhead/single point ground.  This will make the inside framing into a low frequency Faraday cage.  The metal ceiling joists were installed and electrically bonded to the rest of the framing.  Insulation was installed in the ceiling and then the sheetrock went on.  Gregg fire taped the sheet rock and finished up at about the same time as the roofing was finished.  It really looks great.

Remaining building details are as follows:

  1. PVA primer on inside walls and clean up interior.
  2. Apply another coat of color latex to exterior (1 gal remaining from last summer) to cover up caulk touch ups and spilt asphalt primer.
  3. Reinstall electrical cover plates, fluorescent light fixtures, control for heater.
  4. Cleanup and reassemble dual rack. Install internal power strips and new side panel.

Beyond these details the other remaining items are dependent upon what happens on Farnsworth, completion of the modules for the repeater, and availability of manpower and materials.

  1. Install ground field.
  2. Install bulkhead/single point ground.
  3. Install additional tower sections.
  4. Install MOV & ferrites.

Radios, power supplies, antennas, and feedlines are a separate part of the project and will be dealt with separately.

73, Bruce, KI7OM

Report on Scott's Hill Site visit 14 August 1999

Randy Finch, K7SL, and I visited the Scott's Hill site today. You all will be pleased to know that even though we have had substantial rain at the site there were no signs of leakage.

Even though Randy is planning on coming (maybe) on the 21st he detailed to me how he would like the ground field laid out. It is apparent that we will need the help of every able body person who can wield a shovel or pickax for this part of the project. I would guess that twelve on this part of the project would be an optimal number.

In addition we both feel strongly that those XYLs and YLs or old OMs, for that matter, who are not able to participate in this part of the labor should nevertheless support the heavy labor crew by providing hot food and cold drinks on the site. We really don't have time to cook while we are there, and tuna sandwich, powerbar, and warm water don't quit provide inspiration to work hard. Any volunteers??

I will be posting, in a few days, additional information on tools you should plan on bringing. In the mean time please make plans to come and help - we do need you. I will also be making a posting on the Utah-Ham list with a general appeal for help.


Scott's Hill, 21 August 1999, Workparty Report

Hi everyone,

Thought you'd like an update on what took place today on Scott's:

The WX, a grave concern to us, started out just fine, then it got to looking a bit threatening around noon but cleared up to relatively warm and dry in the after noon - really a perfect day for what we were doing.  The soil was still quite moist so the digging went rather quickly.  So quickly that I think everyone was rather surprised at how much we got done.  We had a total of five in the work crew.  I guess everybody is either burned out from volunteering on Mudslide/Tornado duty that one more Saturday away from home was not an option with the significant other or delayed projects needing to be done.  What ever the reason we understand and appreciate those who did come and help.

We got a ring of copper around the outside of the building buried, and four straps installed and buried, going out varying distances (35 to 56 feet) with two for each tower.   We still have enough copper for at least two good additional radials.  These are not really radials for RF purposes but are part of the lightening dissipation and grounding system.

Randy and John will be going up and silfos/brazing the connections to the ring and towers some time in the coming days.

We have not run anything up the wall to the opening for the single point ground feed through not at this time do we have anything specific to be bonded to either the ring or the towers.

Alan applied a thick PVA primer to the inside so that it actually looks like it was painted with a white eggshell finish.  He also touched up the outside giving the outside south wall another full coat.  We saw some evidence of leakage (not from the roof) which apparently was from wind driven, rain last nite, pushed through the whatever small cracks in block walls on the south side.  There was evidence of sever rain fall in the area from last nite.

Don did the finish electrical along with installing the T-Stat for the heater - really works great - and looks great.  I may talk to my old friend Steve Ogden, to see if he'll donate wall to wall carpeting   ;-}  and then when the XYL throws we out for never being here (always up on the mountain) I'll have someplace comfortable to move. he he!

The single major item not accomplished today was the reassemble, wiring, and clean up of the cabinets.  It was decided that  could be accomplished just about anytime, even in poor weather.


Scott's Hill Report for 6 September, 1999

September 6th, Labor Day, found another group back up on the site for half day work party.  This group included Clint Turner, KA7OEI, Dick Abbott, K7MZ, Derek Sheehan, W7REX, Darryl Hazelgren, AF7O, Bruce Bergen, KI7OM who in the spirit of the day brought pick and shovels to the site to labor.

The additional two ground straps were laid out from the two southerly building corners, with one measuring about 40 and the other 45 feet.  Again recent rain had properly moistened the soil so the digging went without much difficulty.

The dual cabinet was reassembled and with some minor electrical work, yet to be done, will be ready to accept equipment.

Clint had left a small temperature data logger in the building at the end of our July 31st work party and was able to download the information to his notebook PC.  From a quick look at the data, the temperature seems to stay within about a ten degree range with the notable exception of the time during our visit of August 21, when we ran the heater.  Clint indicated that he will be posting this information on the Scott's Hill web site sometime in the next few weeks.

Details needing to be accomplished before snow makes the site inaccessible for wheeled vehicles is to silver solder the ground straps together and bond the tower bases to the ground field along with the single point bulkhead/feed through plate.  Randy Finch, K7SL has assured me that he and John Clark, N7SFN, will get this done within the next few weeks.

Additionally an insulation system for the steel plate door need to be devised and installed, along with a ventilation system.  A folding shelf /workbench will be installed on the inside south wall.  These last items are not critical to the installation of any radio equipment bu will make working there much easier.

This brings up the big question - when will the repeater be up and operating?  Much work still remains to be done on the radios, microwave links, power supplies, feedlines, towers and antennas, much more than will or can be accomplished between now and the end of October which is generally the absolute latest we can get into the site.  The unsettled nature of the Farnsworth site has compounded the issues and cut into the available manpower.

Finally, though some good news. Only some of you have been aware that, though the Forest Service, on whose land the building sits, gave us the go ahead a year ago in June, 1998, we have been operating on the good faith of the Forest Service personnel with nothing in writing.   We were continually reassured that it was a done deal and "not to worry".  I worried.  I have
been working on this project for over four years, and two years ago we were told "NO"!  An order for the State of Utah, the last occupants, to demolish the site was given and it was only through my persistence, the coming of the Winter of ‘97-‘98, the intervention of Congressman Cooks office, and some changes in the Forest District office, that we had finally arrived at
this point.  On September 4, I received a signed permit from the Regional office in Ogden.  There will be no fees due for this year, with the first fees payable for 2000, next year, of approximately $100 for the year. Sigh!!!

73 - Bruce - KI7OM

Report on Scott's Hill October 23 Work

The day was a beautiful cloudless, windless one with the temperature in the high 50s. As usual the vista was spectacular. On the eastern skyline one could identify most of the major peaks in the Uintahs.

Several important tasks were completed today. First, due to some missed phone calls and busy schedules, Randy, K7SL, John, N7SFN, and Dave KD7FQE met at the Park and Ride and proceeded to the site. As most of you are aware most of the ground system silver soldering was completed last Sunday. They were able to complete the remaining silver soldering of the grounding system straps to the tower bases before Dennis, KC7KCW, and Bruce, KI7OM arrived. Fortunately, since no one at the site was answering radio calls, the gate had been left open, probably because of the cell site construction going on nearby.

Randy and John, their job well done, left to return home since they apparently had only a few hours of sleep. Dennis, Dave, and Bruce stayed and bored three two inch holes in the 1/4" plate steel door.  These were covered with two inch round screened aluminum soffit vent plugs. Don, N7YUQ, and Myron, KC7AWW, arrived about the time Bruce's electric drill had cooled down.

Myron had fabricated, at home, a 12"' x 12" x 3" hood out of 3/16" plate steel to go over the vent holes and brought his buzzbox arc welder with him to attach it to the door. The hood was expertly attached to the door and will provide a level of protection against vandalism at the same time it keeps rain and snow out of the vents. Since we had the welding capability and some extra one inch angle iron available, Myron fabricated a much needed inside handle to the locking mechanism. Unfortunately after all this was done we noticed that the heat from the welding of the hood had warped the top of the door causing it to bow out top center. It seemed that no amount of pounding with a small 4 pound hammer would make any difference. Weather permitting (meaning anything short of a 18 inches of snow) Myron will be bringing a ram press up next week to true up the door. At the same time he will attach angle iron stiffeners to top, bottom, and latch sides of the door.

Don installed a small ventilation blower near the ceiling of the East wall. It is controlled by a line voltage humidistat, also mounted near the thermostat on the same wall. The blower is vented to the outside by 2" ABS pipe. Don noticed a lot of moisture in the cement blocks while drilling for the vent pipe. There are several potential explanations for the presence of moisture which perhaps could be discussed separately.  It is hoped that these measures will remedy the humidity problem in the building, which if not dealt with now could have disastrous consequences.

Don also installed the large MOVs on the outside of the meter base main breaker. They are aluminum cans about 3" in diameter and about 4" high. These will be wired in, along with fuses, on our next visit to the site. Some large ferrite loops will also be installed on each of the main power legs. Both these measures will provide a good level of surge and spike protection on the power coming into the building.  We have a separate electrical box next to the inside breaker panel designed to accommodate
MOV/ferrite or gas tubes for each of the individual electrical circuits.

Randy has commented that we have by far the best lightning ground field of any facility on the mountain.  We are confident that with the combination of measures we have taken: the lightening absorbing ground  field, the bonding of the metal studs, and the MOVs/ferrites our equipment will have a much better chance of surviving the harsh mountain top electric storm conditions.

The agenda for next week is the following:

  1. -Straighten out the door and apply stiffeners.
  2. - Install one inch Styrofoam to the door with stud bolts and cover with either 1/4" Masonite or plywood.
  3. - Install new weather stripping on the door.
  4. - Finish the MOV installation.
Miscellaneous items needed next week: If Randy or John should join us they might want to remember to bring their 500 watt solder guns. ;-)

73 - Bruce - KI7OM

Report on the Scott's Hill October 30, 1999, Work Party

The day was another beautiful, cloudless, windless one with the temperature, midday in the high 40's, in spite of the skiff of snow on the ground around the site. We did encounter some icy spots on the paved and dirt roads where they are in the shade all day long now, but had no difficulty getting up there.

Dennis, KC7KCW, Don, N7YUQ, Fred, KB7VIL, Myron, KC7AWW, Myron's son, and Bruce, KI7OM were in what probably will be the last work party of the year.

We are happy to announce that our efforts last week to provide a method of dehumidifying the building were quite successful. With the inside temperature around 70 degrees the relative humidity was around ten percent as measured by the humidistat. (I purposely left the heater on for the week). This after what had been the first real wet storm in weeks. My best guess as to the major source of the original humidity problem was that a great deal of water became entrapped in the block and concrete roof following a year of a leaky roof. With the epoxy paint on the exterior and interior of the walls and on the floor and a relatively well sealed door it was like a big sealed jug of water which never really got to evaporate in spite of the relatively few hours during the summer when it was opened while we were up there this summer. There was also good evidence from this summer that wind driven rain was able to easily penetrate the seal around the door which had been good at keeping air changes to an absolute minimum but apparently allowed water seepage.

As you will recall when we installed the exhaust ventilation system last week we managed to warp the steel plate door while welding the intake vent hood to the door. Myron brought along his ram press with a jig allowing us to straighten out the top of the door. While the press was in place we welded in angle iron stiffeners across the top and then trued up the sides and did the same there.

Six quarter inch studs were welded to the door and an inch of blue Styrofoam was applied between the stiffeners. This was covered with a quarter inch of Masonite and secured with fender washers and nuts.  The old foam weather stripping was removed and replaced with a waterproof foam weather stripping.  I'm still not satisfied that this is the best weatherstripping solution but it will do until I find a better one.

Don and Fred worked on the racks installing the plug strips and wired in heavy duty cords and plugs out the top of the cabinets. These will plug into outlets installed in the ceiling eliminating most of the cords going to wall outlets which are normally put there just for us to trip on. The cabinet fans, which had been removed earlier this year, were reinstalled, primarily to get them out of the way and to account for loose nuts and bolts. They also got the Unistrut installed on both the west and east sides of the ceiling.

Almost as an afterthought, while checking the stiffness of the door and finding that it still lacked the desired stiffness and at the same time noticing that the latch side was bowed out about a quarter of an inch out of true near the latch arm, a solution came to me. Since an inside latch arm had been welded into place last week, we welded an extension wedge to the jam end of the arm and a matching angle stud to the frame. It exceeded my expectations both in sucking the door in and making it so that no
amount of tugging against the lock box by several men would cause it to budge or bulge.

Don, in the time frame available to him this last week, had been unable to find any fuse holders to install in line with the MOVs he had attached last week. So the MOVs are in place but not electrically installed. The purpose of the fuses is to take the MOVs out of the circuit following a lightening hit or other large surge in the case where they might fail in the closed circuit state. I'm assuming these would be of the slow blow cartridge variety.

The cabinets still need some work, such as fixing the door latching mechanisms and finding or fabrication a replacement side panel. We now have a broom, dust pan, and a rubber door mat in the building.  Eventually we would like to replace the "workbench" that came with the building.

With the exception of a few of these small details, the building is ready for power supplies, equipment, antennas, cavities, and feed lines.

I would like to make one final visit, via 4WD, sometime in the coming weeks - WX permitting, just to make some final seasonal checks. I did retrieve Clint's, KA7OEI, Dallas Digital recording Thermometer for him to down load and reprogram. So if Clint would like to put one back up there this might be the time.

Thank you everyone for your generous contributions of time, money and material this last summer.  Though I am disappointed, in that we still have no radios installed in the building, I am pleased with the quality of the work which has gone into this project thus far. I hope you are aware that a great deal of thought and planning by members of this group and myself has gone into the project to keep costs to a minimum, yet not compromise unnecessarily on materials or workmanship. I feel that the work done will both make what we put it there more reliable and less subject to the whims of nature and make our brief stays there much more pleasant. I would also like to acknowledge that a significant portion of those who have so generously given of themselves are not UARC members, some not even Hams, but have freely given to the good of this project.

73 - Bruce - KI7OM

Editor's note:  Bruce and Clint did go up there a week later to inspect the building and re-install the Thermochron (temperature logger.)  When we get up there next spring/summer, we expect to be able to get a picture of the internal operating temperature of the building over the course of a winter and spring.  The data accumulated previous to that trip may be found here in space-delimited ASCII format.  The temperatures are in Fahrenheit and the time stamps are mountain daylight time.  Please note that there are some gaps in data resulting from the Thermochron being removed from the site for download/programming.  Also note that there are a few seeming temperature anomalies due to the on-site heater being activated during a workparty.

We have also chronicled work parties at the Scott's Hill site that occurred in 1998 - go here to see and read more about those work parties.

Buildings on Scott's hill - looking north, from a distance - small version
The entire Scott's hill complex, from about a mile south of the site.
The building is just visible - in the center and above a tree.

Full view of the Scott's hill site - small version
This is a panoramic view at the Scott's hill site.
The UARC building is the brown building just behind the power pole and slightly to the left.

Bruce, KI7OM, at the building - small version

Go back to the Scott's Hill page:

Go to the UARC Home page, or to the Repeaters of the Utah Amateur Radio Club page.